Monday, October 19, 2009

He was Once a FairyTale




Before embarking on this discussion, I'd suggest dedicating 11 minutes to the short film, available here. I dont think much "dedication" will be involved, its uncomfortable to the point one cannot look away. Brilliant.

How does someone review "We Were Once a Fairytale", I suppose it could be done in three words.

What

The

Fuck

Okay, I suppose I could do better. It could be said that the Spike Jonze (of recent "Where the Wild Things Are" fame) and Kanye West short film is actually an allegory. Although if Plato saw this work he may reconsider his own teachings. Not quite the Allegory of the Cave, but still Jonze manages to convey an idea that once digested, might prove a valuable wealth of conclusions about our lives and the value we place on fame and achievement.

Perhaps this amalgamation of Ego and Fame is the fairytale that pre-celebre creatives search for and seek. Can it not be said that Andy Warhol and Damien Hirst suffered from the same public response. Sane people think their work is overhyped garbage, but its not the work, its the insight the work gives on the artist. After all we dont care because they are nuts, we care because their lack of sanity exists in us all. Some of us are incapable (or unwilling) to let that out. Celebrity is not Celebrity because its on television. Its Celebrity because they represent some extreme version of ourselves, or at least what we fancy ourselves to be.

What is 'Ye really drunk on, probably his own fame (although the booze certainly helps).

The drunken West has a few badbooze mishaps, including fucking a pillow (to put it bluntly). And then onto the very literal Coup d' Grace, where Ye kills his inner ratmouse.

I understand toning down the Outer Beast, but why kill the FairyTale within?

Thanks to Mr. West for giving us a chance to Overthink the demons that haunt us all.


No comments:

Post a Comment